The Edinburgh FOCUS course is a 2-day practical course, with plenty of opportunity to learn and try out the techniques being taught.
There are lectures, demonstrations and short tutorials, but these are relevant to the practical skills and the emphasis is on hands-on teaching.
- Basic clinical anatomy of the eye
- Slit lamp: basic techniques (concentrating on anterior segment) and practical applications
- Pupil examination
- Visual fields
- Applanation tonometry (intraocular pressure measurement)
- Direct ophthalmoscopy
- Familiarity with other fundoscopy techniques (i.e. slit lamp and indirect ophthalmoscopy)
- Dealing with corneal foreign bodies
- Use of fluorescein and other common eye drops
- Acute red eye
- Loss of vision
- Paediatric ophthalmic emergencies
- Q&A session on Ophthalmology ST1 applications
Hot lunches are provided on both days, as well as the course dinner out on Friday night. Coffee, tea, fruit and snacks are available at other times.
Sample programme : FOCUS programme 2017